Updated: Oct 6
INTRODUCTION Seitan is also known as wheat gluten, vital wheat gluten, wheat protein, vital wheat protein, textured wheat protein, mock meat and wheat meat. It is made from gluten, which is the main protein in wheat. Seitan is made by washing the starch away from wheat flour, leaving strands of gluten. Seitan is a meat-free option often used to mimic the texture of animal-based meat.
Even though seitan is wheat-based, it is low in carbs and high in protein.
“A three-ounce (85g) serving usually contains between 15 and 21 grams of protein, which is roughly equivalent to the amounts in chicken or beef.”
Consumers must be wary of pre-packaged canned varieties, which may contain excessive salt and fat. However, pure seitan is low on calories and fats with no saturated fats at all. Reports suggest the global wheat market value is set to soar, due in part to the demand for plant-based proteins.
Seitan is a great protein source for vegans who are allergic to soy. Many vegan protein-rich foods like tofu, tempeh and packaged meat substitutes are made from soy. Seitan is fine to eat for those with soy allergies as it is made from wheat and not soy.
Information above from( https://www.totallyveganbuzz.com/vegan-wiki/what-is-seitan-definitive-guide-everything/?amp )
Below are some Affiliate Links to Amazon. No extra cost for you, but it helps a mama out. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. RECIPE
This is a super easy recipe. Fast to prepare and slow to simmer all the flavor and juices. Let your inner cook out! Add your own seasoning you love and get creative. Don’t forget the magic ingredient. Love.
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 50 minutes
For the Dough
Vital Wheat Gluten Flour 1 cup
Chickpea Flour 1/4 cup
Water 1 Cup
For the Broth
Low Sodium Vegetable Broth 4 cups
Water 2 Cups Small red onion 1/2
Amino Acid (substitute for soy sauce) 1/3 cup
Nutritional Yeast 1/4 cup
White Wine Vinegar 1 1/2 tsp
Garlic & Herb Seasoning (salt free) 1 tbsp (ish)
All-Purpose Seasoning 1 tbsp (ish)
21 Seasoning Salute 1tbsp (ish)
INSTRUCTIONS 1. Mix the vital wheat gluten and chickpea flour together.
2. Add the water and stir until you create a soft dough.
3. Rest the dough for 5 mins .
4. Transfer the dough to a work surface and knead it between 3-5 minutes.
5. Before you knead the dough and while you are letting it rest start to boil the vegetable broth and water.
6. Place all broth ingredients and seasoning in vegetable broth and water.
7. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer
8. Cut the dough in 4 large pieces.
9. Add the dough to the broth.
10. Allow the dough to simmer in the broth for 50 mins uncovered.
11. Remove the pot from heat and allow to sit for 10 mins.